Accidents and Emergencies

Accident and Emergency department (A & E)
Accident and Emergency department (A & E)


Accident and Emergency Departments are located in larger hospitals. They are often called A&E or sometimes the Emergency Department (ED).

You should go to your nearest A&E department if you:

• have a wound which may need stitches

• think you have broken a bone

• have a burn larger than the palm of a hand, over a joint or on a child

• have an eye injury

• have a head injury and have a severe headache, vomiting, or your vision is blurred

• have swallowed a poisonous substance

Please remember that A&E treats accidents and emergencies only. Going straight to A&E can put the emergency services and hospitals under added pressure and could prevent someone whose condition is more serious than yours from getting treatment. Please consider  whether another service is more appropriate.

Ambulance Services
Ambulance Services







Call 999 for serious medical emergencies only. An emergency  is a critical or life threatening situation, which may include losing consciousness, severe chest pain or heavy bleeding that doesn’t stop.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or have difficulties with your speech,  you can make emergency calls from a Textphone by dialling 18000.

When you dial 18000, you will get straight through to an emergency services operator. A Typetalk Relay Assistant will be brought into the call as soon as the emergency services operator answers your call.

Your nearest A&E department is located at:

Hull Royal Infirmary

Anlaby Road,
Hull HU3 2JZ

Tel: 01482 604300

Where else can I go for Help?